The Real Sam Clar

Posted by Expert Gadget Reviewer on Wednesday 10 June 2009

Indulge me a bit on this one...

My staff and I are always asked "where did the name Sam Clar Office Furniture come from?". So I thought I would take this posting to give the "official" background:

Sam Clar was my Great-Grandfather (my Grandmother's Father). Sam was one of 11 brothers and sisters, and was originally born in Denver Colorado. He moved out west in the early part of the 20th century, ultimately settling in the East Bay Area (Oakland) in the late twenties or early thirties.

To the best of our knowledge, Sam started the business (originally as an equipment and office machine seller) in 1939. He ran the business until 1973 at which time it was purchased by my Father (Jeff Schwartz). My Father retired from day-to-day operations in 1996 at which point "the torch was passed" to me.

Sam Clar and his Great-Grandson John Schwartz in 1972

Sam passed away in 1984, and I was fortunate to have been old enough to know him. He was a charismatic man who spent a lot of his time working with different community organizations and charities in the East Bay. Not a day goes by when my staff and I don't think about the "legacy" we have behind us.

Thanks for your indulgence on this nostalgic post...