Ahhhhh....the smell of technology?!?

Posted by Expert Gadget Reviewer on Wednesday 10 October 2007



My Star Wars-loving, Playstation-playing son, who just turned nine (pictured above in a really poor excuse for a pirate's costume for pirate day at school. A seamstress, I am NOT) has to go with me sometimes to the lumber yard. Both kids do, actually. I try not to, if I can help it. Not for their sake, but for my sanity. :) And because most of the time I can't fit the wood in my minivan unless one child is not in the car. "Which one of you wants to run beside the car today?? That's a fun game we play. Just kidding about that. Really, I'm totally kidding.
One day this summer, both kids were with me. I bribed them with an ice cream and had even thrown in the promise of a couple of those cheap foam paint brushes for extra measure. That is, if they could resist the urge to push, pull, tug, nudge, or hit, each other the entire time we were at the yard.
Anyhow, we were walking over to the plywood section and I said to them, "Ahhhhh...the smell of cut wood. I love it. Don'tcha love it guys?" Grace, my lumber yard lover, chimed in immediately with, "ohhhhh yaaaaah that's niiiiiiice." Noah just looked at me and then said, "No, Mom. You love the smell of wood.... I love the smell of technology."
Which kid do you think will get the family business? And which one will be supporting his mom and dad and the family business with his high-powered, lucrative, high-tech job? YEAH for techies!!!