Foiled AGAIN!

Posted by Expert Gadget Reviewer on Thursday 9 April 2009



Ok, so this isn't related to woodworking...but it kinda is, since I ditched work to do it. A couple of weeks ago I finally made an appointment on a Friday to get my hair professionally colored, something I'd given up over the past year in an effort to save money. Basically, I was starting to look like a freak with dark roots and white blond/yellow hair so I bit the bullet and set the appointment with a salon down the street allowing plenty of time between dropping off the kids at school and picking them up.

Or so I thought....

My colorist was running late so that meant our session ran late. I had faith we'd get my hair done by the time I was supposed to be picking up the kids from school at 2:30pm because I told her upfront, "I need to pick up my kids at 2:30pm." Here's where it gets good. Fast forward to 2:00 and I'm still sitting in the chair with my head in foils, hair sticking out everywhere, and a dark color on the part that isn't colored (like the picture above only on CRACK.) We finally came to the realization that I wasn't going to be done in time to pick up my kids. I called around to other moms at my school praying I'd get ahold of them but ultimately, no luck. I had no choice. I had to GO TO MY KIDS' SCHOOL WITH MY SALON APRON ON AND A MASSIVE FOILED HEAD WITH HAIR STICKING OUT EVERWHERE. And wait outside for Little G to come out at 2:30pm. Then wait again for Noah to come out at 3:00pm.

I ran out of the salon (because I was running late now) down one whole city block and around the corner to get my car. I drive like mad to the school and then just sit in the front seat thinking there is no way this is really happening. Roughly 50 or so parents wait out front to pick up their kids. I took a deep breath...and another deep breath, and got out of the car. I walked up to my friend (another mom) and she nearly had a heart attack. Grace looked at me and said, "WHAT THE?" And then started laughing. My friend Emma, for whom I'm eternally grateful, very quickly offered to take Grace with her and even wait the extra 30 minutes for Noah to come out and take them home with her. (THANK YOU EMMA!)

It's one of those moments I'll never forget. I could feel the heat of the stares on me but was too afraid to look anyone other than Emma in the eyes. There was an audible gasp from the crowd, even. Thank goodness my son didn't have to witness my beautification. He would have been mortified in front of his 4th grade friends.

I now feel I'm one step closer to really knowing what that dream feels like where you're walking through your high school naked and everyone is pointing at you. Next week, I'll probably tuck my skirt into my underwear and march into the front office, just for fun. I'm fearless now!!

P.S. My hair looks AWESOME! I'm willing to visit the school, the grocery, and Scott's office with a head full of foils to get this color again!! :)

(Photo courtesy of www.beautifulhairstyles.com)